09 June 2008

Dear Texas, I love you.

I don't know if forgotten is the right word.
I hadn't forgotten, exactly.
But I wasn't actively in the process of remembering.

Somewhere along the line, the soy lattes and the month of February and the markets and the hubbub and the pretty parks and the house/job search and the new friends and the justice seekers had distracted me from my first and primary role in life.

I started to remember when I got on the plane, but it was all over when I hit the ground at SA International Airport. Four hours after leaving Dulles, with a quick stop in Midway (Chicago is totally on the way to TX), I was back, and I remembered instantly, and all thought of becoming a permanent DC yuppie fled my mind.

I remembered why I love being a Texan.

a) It is hot and sunny
b) Texas t-storms are the best in the world
c) People are nice
d) Parking is done in lots
e) Europeans think everyone in the country is like you
f) Pretty much everyone in the country wishes they were like you
g) Texas turnarounds shame traffic circles
h) Our flag is so awesome people make it into running shorts
i) Cherry vodka sour - $2.50
j) Austin is in it
k) Central-freaking-Market
l) There is no need for HOV, because the roads are built big enough
m) People have pools
n) SJ and Roberta rule the roads
o) Whit's Asics own Town Lake
p) Jake owns the state, essentially
q) Two-stepping happens
r) People like the NBA
s) Riverside
t) Billboards are Spanish
u) Almost everything is in Spanish
v) We thought of Whole Foods
w) Our Capitol is bigger than DC's
x) You can get tan in two days
y) We invented a genre of food: TexMex
z) God blessed us

I've kept this list short, of course, because I didn't want the hate comments to be to hot/heavy, but there are millions of reasons why I love Texas and why I've loved being back. It's amazing what a number the sense of homecoming will do on your soul. Texas is like a big quilt to snuggle in and keep me safe and remind me who I am and why I am. Being away makes it just that much sweeter.

So get ready, Washington, DC: I'm coming back for more adventuring, but my roots are dug in the caleche soil. Trying to talk me out of this will be a losing fight.

I will say y'all till the day I die.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

wasn't it just yesterday that you were chirping in my ear "its called potomac fever courtney?"

i miss you. and i definitely think this is the best blog posting in the history of blogging. even better than stuff white people like/stuff christians like.

now get back up here. ps i love your house.

Laura Colby said...

f) is wrong.

Lerae said...

I take issue with b), f), and perhaps z). Of course he did, but do you really have a monopoly?

ha. love you.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, Hanna! You are such an entertaining writer -- totally hilarious. Missing you! I'm excited for your first day of work on Tuesday!
Also - what do you think of "the Shack"?