28 July 2010

Oh, hey, LIFE.

Life's funny.

In April, those ranunculus and Bernie's quote were getting me through the day.
Today, I'm packing up to see if Bernie's homeland is all it's cracked up to be.

And I really need some ranunculus. Badly.

In past lives, I used to make lists a lot. Lists of things to do, places to go, and endless, endless options of lives to live and people to live them with. If I'd made one for 2010, here's what it would've looked like.

January - Spilled coffee on my winter-white coat at least 30/31 days, laughed with Katie, tried to survive winter, sat around a campfire with Australian friends and wondered if I should move to their country.

February - Spilled coffee 28/28 days, stayed up too late during the week of the Prayer Breakfast, made a million memories that can be filed under 'Snowmaggedon,' wondered if winter would ever end.

March - Stopped wearing my coat in defiance of winter, said farewell to one of my faves, watched the Oscars with chocolate sauce and the Deans, wondered what my next job would be.

April - Was infected again with Potomac Fever, laughed at tourists, loved the cherry blossoms, remembered why I love Cora so much, spent an unexpected Easter in a most delightful way and wondered if I was the first person whose life had literally been saved by ranunculus.

May - Cried for joy at the airport in Dallas, cried with hope in the Fairmont lobby with SJ, cried with horror at Minneapolis (and all it implies), emailed Australia-friends with a wild idea, traipsed the Frenchie Riv with Cora and the family, cried with anticipation after an early morning call from Molls, quit my job, wondered what the hell I was doing.

June - Danced at Vegas, mourned the loss of the 'costia, packed the basement, hugged goodbyes at IJM, wished for answers but enjoyed questions, was introduced by Gavs to a drink that altered my life forever, started a business with P, wondered how I ever deserved the friends I have.

July - Trekked from DC to Bulverde via Chattanooga, New Orleans, and Breauxbridge, ate fried alligator, listened to Ryan Bingham on repeat, wooed Er, DG and Katch into love with my home state, ate Mexican food, sweated through Bikram, procrastinated packing by writing blog posts, wondered how cold it's really going to be in the Sydney winter.

August - Loaded some belongings and re-lit the adventure soul, learned what 15 hours on Qantas is really like, lived with my fifth family in the past 3 years, started a new job (or two), learned Aussie slang, wondered what the rest of the year would bring.

September - TBD, Tamboon Ave.

October - TBD, Tamboon Ave.

November - TBD, Tamboon Ave.

December - Home in time for my birthday, and hopefully not ready to spill coffee on the white coat and start the cycle over again...

All this planning, all these musings, all the memories laugh-able and cry-able -- they really are just the part I know. Hopefully I'll know more in the next months. I'll write if I do.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You've had a pretty amazing year--and it's only 7/12th complete.