19 March 2010

Like/Dislike

I just read this in one of the favorite books,

To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying 'Amen' to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive.

(Robert Louis Stevenson)

It made me think of this quote, from one of my favorite posts on one of my favorite blogs,

“You have two options,” he said, “chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Which do you choose?”

“Chocolate,” she replied.

He asked why, and then she gave her reason.

He repeated his initial question: chocolate or vanilla? Her answer came with a different reason. They repeated this back and forth twenty or so times.

Finally, having asked “Chocolate or vanilla?” and hearing the response “chocolate” once more, he again asked why.

“Because I choose chocolate! That’s why.”

“Good. You’ve just made the first choice of your life.”

I decided to some things I like* this weekend.
Just because I like them.

Happy Friday.
Do something you like.

*These include, but are not limited to: margaritas, hiking in Shenandoah, and neon nail polish.

1 comment:

Schmidt Fam said...

I prefer chocolate too, but it's better with something crunchy in it.
Love, Dad